[Ffmpeg-devel] Patch for dynamic liba52.so loading

François Revol revol
Sat Jun 11 17:39:57 CEST 2005

> There is an advantage if it's possible to dynamically load liba52
> (and
> libfaad). Say there is one commercial application (without source)
> that
> uses the dynamically-loaded libavcodec.so . There is a second GPL
> application that also uses libavcodec.so. Both applications could
> share
> the binary library (e.g. Debian package), legally. But only the GPL
> application would legally be allowed to use the AC-3 decoder.
>
> I think the FSF explicitly states that GPL'ed dynamically-linked
> libraries do extend their copyright to the code they are linked to,
> even
> if this linking occurs at run-time (

This depends on what you mean by "linking at run-time".
If that linking results in a manipulation of the user,
like replacing an LGPLed lavc by a GPLed one which links to a52,
this can't be. Because the user himself is *not* bound by the GPL.

Fran?ois.