[Ffmpeg-devel] Patch for dynamic liba52.so loading

Måns Rullgård mru
Sat Jun 11 21:40:58 CEST 2005

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 05:37:08PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> August Mayer <amayer at cosy.sbg.ac.at> writes:
>>
>> > I think the FSF explicitly states that GPL'ed dynamically-linked
>> > libraries do extend their copyright to the code they are linked to,
>>
>> That is indeed their stance, but the FSF does not make the law.  Those
>> who do make the law appear to be of a different opinion.
>
> The FSF decides under what terms someone is allowed to copy code to
> which they hold copyright.

They do indeed, and those terms are known as the GPL.  The thing is,
when linking dynamically, no copying takes place.

> Again, read my message.

Which message?

> It's very complete as to what they can and cannot enforce. Naturally
> anyone else publishing code under the GPL can demand the same
> things, and should.

Anyone publishing code under the GPL should read it carefully, and
think very carefully about whether it really says what the FSF says it
says.  If you do not understand it, get help from a lawyer, or choose
a less convoluted license.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com