[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Problems encoding H264 with a MP4 / MOV container with ffmpeg

Bill May wmay
Fri Jun 17 18:38:20 CEST 2005

Erik Slagter wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 06:58 -0700, Bill May wrote:
>

>>Thanks to ffmpeg and x264, mpeg4ip can encode and record/stream live
>>v4l2 streams, and play it back, as well.
>

> Very very nice! I guess you'll need a lot of cpu power (or a low
> resolution) ;-)

Actually, with x264, you do not need significantly more power than
with ffmpeg - it's probably a factor of 2, rather than more than that.

With a dual, 2G machine, CIF is fine (about 50%), 640x480 starts to
push it.  There's enough CPU to do multiple encodings of the same
source (h.264, mpeg-4) at the same time.

Bill