[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEGTS overhead is huge - is that normal?

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed Jun 22 12:47:16 CEST 2005

Andy Parkins said:
> Hello
>
> I've just noticed the huge difference in file size when storing as MPEGTS
compared to raw.  For example:

MPEG-TS consists of 188-byte packets, each with a header of at least 4 bytes
(usually 4).  In addition, there are less frequent PES headers of 9 or more
bytes, and the occasional PAT/PMT.  This does not explain the overhead you are
seeing.
MPEG-TS is often padded to a constant bitrate, but I don't think the muxer
in libavformat currently does this.  If you upload a sample someone might be able
see what's going on.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com