[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEGTS overhead is huge - is that normal?

Andy Parkins andyparkins
Wed Jun 22 13:24:17 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 2005 June 22 11:47, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> MPEG-TS consists of 188-byte packets, each with a header of at least 4
> bytes (usually 4).  In addition, there are less frequent PES headers of 9
> or more bytes, and the occasional PAT/PMT.  This does not explain the
> overhead you are seeing.
> MPEG-TS is often padded to a constant bitrate, but I don't think the muxer
> in libavformat currently does this.  If you upload a sample someone might
> be able see what's going on.

Thank you for your help.  Knowing that it wasn't normal was all I needed.  I
had a look in mpegtsenc.c and found that the stream information is
retransmitted at a frequency based on the bit rate.  The bit rate's where not
matching up - what the stream thought it was is not what it actually was.
Hence there was a huge number of additional packets being sent.  My bad.
Sorry to have bothered you.

I'm hoping if I keep stumbling around like this I'll eventually find a real
bug that might be some contribution towards ffmpeg.  It's not going well so
far ;-)

Andy

--
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (hons), AMIEE