[Ffmpeg-devel] I want to know what data set to AVCodecContext for H.264

Erik Slagter erik
Fri Jun 24 13:50:59 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 12:31 +0200, bond wrote:

> as i wrote already very often: even if there are some small patches here and
> there for avc/h.264 support in the mp4 muxer, ffmpeg does NOT produce
> correct mp4 files for avc (and also not for mpeg-4 part2)
> eg the most important bug for avc is the missing of the avcC atom, which is
> very very important
>
> so until someone seriously starts to read the iso 14496-14 (for mpeg-4 part2
> video) and 14496-15 (for avc video) specs and starts implementing the mp4
> muxing following the specs, i can only repeat to not use ffmpeg for creating
> .mp4 files
> just because mplayer plays them, it doesnt mean the files are good
>
> sorry for the rant, but i simply see people doing that far too often

Completely supported, no need to excuse.

It WOULD be very nice if ffmpeg would support mp4 properly, though...
AFAIK x264 uses gpac to do the actual muxing, maybe an option? (in x264
it's not that useful imho, because it doesn't mux the audio in).