[Ffmpeg-devel] 64bit support

Jacob Meuser jakemsr
Mon Jun 27 02:21:49 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 07:07:54PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > That's not what I call a fix. :p
> >
> > me either.
> >
> > Rich, do you really enjoy replying to these emails?  don't you have
> > something better to do?  don't you think most people want stuff that
> > "just works"?
>
> A couple comments..
> 1, if the problem is that --enable-shared fails, the user reporting
> the problem should have mentioned using it..

but if the OP didn't have a problem using a broken option ...

> 2, I think my answer offered a solution.

yes

 Maybe not optimal in the
> minds of the people who senselessly insist on using pic/shared libs,
> but at least it would work.

senselessly?  why is it senseless?  you really think it's easier for
every project out there to distribute ffmpeg sources?  you really think
it saves people's time to have to make sure they can make ffmpeg
compile on as many platforms as the code they are writing?

so what is senseless?  people doing extra work, or computers doing
extra work?

even as a user, I'd rather have ony 1 known-everything-works version
of _any_ software on my machines.

and you never even answered my question ... do you enjoy writing
these emails?

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>