[Ffmpeg-devel] dirac codec

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Tue Jun 28 00:48:42 CEST 2005

On 6/22/05, Martin Boehme <boehme at inb.uni-luebeck.de> wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:03:59AM +0300, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> >>H.264 certainly isn't a joke even though JM requires much, much
> >>more powerful CPU than 10 GHz for realtime
> >>(at least for encoding--haven't tested decoding but it isnt fast either)
> >
> > Encoding time is irrelevant.
>
> Hmmm, can you say "live broadcast"? ;-)

Let me try,

"To have live broadcast use should use hardware encoders." :P

Anyway, the true is that when we finnaly have an CPU that can decode
DVD resolution in realtime there won't be any DVD's, but only HD-DVD,
that will require 100GHz CPUs.

An workaround for this problem is using video card shaders for
decoding, but I have no idea how usable they are for such task
(ignoring limited program size)