[Ffmpeg-devel] dirac codec

Martin Boehme boehme
Tue Jun 28 11:12:48 CEST 2005

Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> On 6/22/05, Martin Boehme <boehme at inb.uni-luebeck.de> wrote:
>
>>Rich Felker wrote:

>>>Encoding time is irrelevant.
>>
>>Hmmm, can you say "live broadcast"? ;-)
>
> Let me try,
>
> "To have live broadcast use should use hardware encoders." :P

Well... wasn't the original intent of ffmpeg to grab video from a TV
card, encode it and send it off over the network? ;-) And then there's
the PVR guys, not all of whom have hardware encoders...

Just teasing... obviously, decoding performance is still a lot more
critical than encoding performance...

> Anyway, the true is that when we finnaly have an CPU that can decode
> DVD resolution in realtime there won't be any DVD's, but only HD-DVD,
> that will require 100GHz CPUs.

You probably meant _en_code there? Or are you referring to Snow?

Martin

--
Martin B?hme
Inst. f. Neuro- and Bioinformatics