[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: 0.4.9-pre2?

Robert Lippmann rlippmann
Wed Jun 29 17:51:53 CEST 2005

> > no, not everyone.  you forget that most users use packages.  do you
> > really think everyone who uses FFmpeg has the desire/ability to track
> > FFmpeg cvs?
>
> E.g. Debian ships ffmpeg CVS snapshots instead of release tarballs.

Most distros do (eg gentoo, fedora [via extras or freshrpms]).  I imagine
the *BSD maintainers work similarly.

The distro package maintainer usually starts with an upstream release and
patches from there.  If snapshots weren't used, there'd probably lots of
patches they'd have to maintain which are redundant with fixes from CVS.

-- rob