[Ffmpeg-devel] reply-to headers and the mailinglist

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu May 5 17:56:52 CEST 2005

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 01:52:51PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > quite a few messages which appear on the list contain reply-to headers to the
>> > poster+mailinglist, is this wanted?
>> >
>> > currently the mailman settings are:
>> > first_strip_reply_to: No
>> > reply_goes_to_list: list
>> >
>> > i could change first_strip_reply_to to yes but that would remove not only
>> > reply-to headers which contain only the poster (and then get the list added
>> > by mailman) but also reply to headers which originally conatin the
>> > poster+list, at least if i understand things correctly
>> >
>> > the lists on SF dont have a first_strip_reply_to option ...
>> > how are other lists configured?
>>
>> IMHO, the best is not to do any reply-to processing.  See
>> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for a discussion on the
>> topic.
>
> This is nonsense...without it everyone would reply off-list and spam
> us all.

It seems to work well on all the lists I subscribe to that don't mess
with reply-to.  Any sane mailer has a command that replies in the
proper way.

> I vote for stripping all reply-to headers and then adding the list
> as the only reply-to.

Setting relpy-to to the list addrss only makes it difficult to reply
off-list, if that's what you actually want to do.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com