[Ffmpeg-devel] Compilation with --enable-theora fails

matthieu castet castet.matthieu
Thu May 12 19:38:33 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:24:27AM +0200, matthieu castet wrote:
>
>>subtitle need to be incrusted (because no player (at least on linux) is
>>able to display correctly the ssa/ass with effect) the subtitle stream
>>is useless,...
>

> useless? it displays just fine for me -- all you need is the basic
> text... if you want better sub rendering feel free to submit a patch.

With basic rendering :
- how would you place correctly the sub for the translation of board,
sign, ...
- basic rendering don't support colour, and colour is sometimes useful
if the subber want to explain game play (for example I could be
different in Japanese if it is for a man or a woman)
- you sometimes need special font in order to follow the style.
- you sometimes use kanji, or other character sets, you need to assume
that everybody have to right font.
- you sometimes want to write at different place in the same time :
bottom dialogue translation, top word explanation.
- karaoke are nice even if there aren't necessary.
- ...

I agree that hard-subbed are not the perfect solution, but until someone
invent some subtitle that can be "precompiled" (some time ago people
were talking about png subtitles) and system independent, I think it is
the best one.

And everyone will be happy : the fansubber because they won't have to
spend bandwidth, and if they make error they could correct easily
(actually some broken teams had the idea to make binary patch...).
Anime downloader, because whey can download a raw file and then choose
the best translation without needing to redownload the video again.

Matthieu