[Ffmpeg-devel] retrieving asf textual info in other languages

Dave Dodge dododge
Wed May 18 00:03:18 CEST 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:50:26AM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> iconv is part of glibc, and specified by SUSv3,
[...]
> My main concern was portability to non-SUS platforms.

Even SUS platforms can have trouble with it.  While the iconv API is
required by SUSv3, the list of supported conversions is completely
implementation-defined.  Even if the system does support UCS-2 to
UTF-8, the actual string names used to refer to those encodings are
also implementation-defined.  For example the system might only
recognize "ucs-2", "UCS2", or "en.UCS_2".

As a practical example, I'm pretty sure that Linux and some versions
of Solaris use different names for the same encodings.

For something purely algorithmic like going between two Unicode
encodings, it's more reliable to just use your own implementation.

                                                  -Dave Dodge