[Ffmpeg-devel] libavcodec + IPP

Björn Ardö bjorn.ardo
Tue Nov 8 13:45:28 CET 2005

Hi,

We have done some performance tests with libavcodec on an intel pentium 4
CPU uncompressing a mpeg 2 video stream.

We noticed that we could replace the idct algoritm with the corresponding
IPP function. This increased the performance by about 10% compared to the
MMX2 version in libavcodec (FF_IDCT_LIBMPEG2MMX). It seems that libavcodec
is already prepared to use IPP functions but that it is not implemented yet
(apart from the arm4l architecture).

Our question is the following. Is it of interest that we add support for IPP
idct algorithms to libavcodec for i386 platforms? If so, should we add it to
the dsputil_mmx.c file (like it is done in dsputil_arm.c) or create another
file (say dsputil_ipp.c) with this?

Please advice us on how we should proceed.

Regards,

Tomas Christiansson

tomas.christiansson at gasoptics.com

Bj?rn Ard?