[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ffmpeg-devel-old] why not have h264encoder in the libavcodec?

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Wed Nov 9 21:56:07 CET 2005

Marcus Engene wrote:
> Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

>>> Well, you could say GPL is like a virus. Once contaminated with one  GPL
>>> project, the whole project is compromised
>>

>> "IF" you distribute the program.
>> Besides isn't that why we have the preamble in every file? So you
>> KNOW that the code is GPL ?
>> I mean if you are too stupid to read the license before you rip the
>> code, then that's your problem.
>>
>> GPL is not viral, it's about creating a complete environment free of
>> proprietary software, and "enforcing" that your code is only used by
>> other programs that support the same idea. It's about taking the Red
>> Pill.
>>
>> DJ
>

>  From what I understood, if someone links a LGPL library to the
> proprietary application that's fine as long as the they release the
> LGPL:ed code and the modifications (if any). The commercial application
> code might not be relevant to the code anyway.
>
> With GPL you cannot do this. Instead you must release the full
> application source.

The point of lgpl and gpl is in fact respectively foster the usage or
foster the free software development.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero