[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ffmpeg-devel-old] why not have h264encoder in the libavcodec?

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Nov 10 01:17:11 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 08:59:47PM +0100, Marcus Engene wrote:

> A company usually/often cannot do the GPL way. May it be company policy,
> other licensed code or whatever. So, for them the only way is to write
> their own code. (Or just steal the GPL code as history has shown.). I
> would rather prefer having the company on the side of the project in
> question. With LGPL it's in their interrest to submit patches etc.

Depends on what you call "the side of the project".  IMO the situation
you describe is the opposite.  You're not on the side of the project if
you give nothing back...

> Imagine Linux with a license requiring all apps on it to be open source.
> Would IBM etc toss in all the man hours in the project if that was the case?

You will have noticed that companies like IBM, SGI, etc have put quite a
few man hours into Linux and not into the BSDs..  Do you think it's only
because of the hype?

Diego