[Ffmpeg-devel] mp3onmp4

Mike Melanson mike
Mon Nov 21 00:55:36 CET 2005

bond wrote:
> its indeed possible to mux mp3 audio into the .mp4 container (which is not
> the same as .mov)

	True. .mp4 is a .mov with a few extensions that are "open" as long as
you pay enough money to the right people.

> there are two tools existing allowing you to do this 100% spec compliant,
> that is mp4box from the gpac project and mp4creator from the mpeg4ip project
> yes, ffmpeg can NOT do this correctly

	You mean two "open source" tools, I hope. I tend to think Apple as a
few tools that do the right thing as well.

> people have to differentiate between .mov and .mp4
> there are not "few ways" for placing mp3 in mp4, there is only one defined
> in the mpeg-4 specs
> as already mentioned its done by using "mp4a". not the here mentioned "'ms'
> + 0x0055 (CBR) or '.mp3' (VBR)"

	Don't knock it 'till you try it. I think the 2 .mov MP3 encapsulations
along with MPEG-4 video would be accepted my QT Player, though I am not
set up to verify it right now.

> i hope you are joking? qt is definitely not the gold standard when it comes
> to mpeg-4 (and this includes the .mp4 container). qt handles as good as
> nothing you can do with .mp4 and this includes mp3 which it doesnt handle in
> .mp4

	Apple is a big backer of these MPEG standards. When I think of an
official MPEG-4 multimedia player, I think of Apple's QuickTime Player.
Do you have a better reference?

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson