[Ffmpeg-devel] How to incorporate a subset of FFMPEG source in other projects?

Sven Over over
Tue Nov 22 12:18:46 CET 2005

Hello, FFMPEG developers.

Yesterday I released a new project of mine to the public, DVBCUT. You might
have read my announcement on the ffmpeg-users list.
http://dvbcut.sourceforge.net

I got some response from the first downloaders, and some seem to have problems
because they have a different version of libavcodec/libavformat installed on
their system than I have on mine, and my code seems to be incompatible with
some older versions.

I remember some time ago was a discussion on this list regarding this issue.
Because the interfaces of libavcodec/libavformat keep changing once in a
while, and it is difficult to get users of my program install the same
version of FFMPEG than I have (I'm still using a CVS snapshot from
September), there was the suggestion that developers of other projects can
incorporate the source code of ffmpeg in their project, so it comes with the
right version. For GPL'ed project (such as DVBCUT), this should be no
problem.

My question is, how to achieve this technically. I only need a small subset of
libavcodec/libavformat, namely the mpeg2video decoder and encoder, the mp2
audio decoder (maybe AC3 in the future), and the mpeg2 and mpeg2ts muxers. Is
there a good starting point to find out, what files I need include and to
modify? Maybe someone even has written some shell scripts to do the job.

If not, that's no problem, I will find out myself. But maybe someone has
already put some effort into this and has some good tips (or even scripts)
for me. (Or you can just point me to posts to this list in the mailing list
archive which covers this issue... like "RTFM" -> read the fine
mailinglist ;)

Anyway, thanks for your help!

  Sven Over                         over at hep.physik.uni-siegen.de
  Universitaet Siegen               phone: +49-271-740-3630
  Fachbereich Physik                fax:   +49-271-740-3886
  Emmy-Noether-Campus A-112         http://www.hep.physik.uni-siegen.de/
  Walter-Flex-Str. 3
  57068 Siegen, GERMANY
  Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe       phone: +49-7247-82-4174
  Institut f?r Kernphysik           fax:   +49-7247-82-4047
  KASCADE-Grande, 402/108           http://www-ik.fzk.de/KASCADE_home.html
  76021 Karlsruhe, GERMANY