[Ffmpeg-devel] specific codec question

Rich Felker dalias
Wed Oct 12 19:08:37 CEST 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 06:22:42PM +0200, Bram Biesbrouck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a codec that doesn't need a fixed (or minimal) number of
> frames per second? To be specific: I'm looking for a codec that accepts a new
> frame (or maybe just an update rectangle?) when something changed in the
> previous one. So when nothing changes for 5 sec, it doesn't need a new frame,
> it just displays the last one.

This isn't a codec matter but a container one. As long as your
container supports arbitrary timestamp increments you can do it with
whatever codec you like.

And before some people object: some nasty codecs like mpeg try to be
incestuously tied to a particular container and/or store framerate (or
timestamp) information in the codec stream, but a good container can
still overcome this just fine.

Rich