[Ffmpeg-devel] build systems

Sam Hocevar sam
Wed Sep 21 10:21:26 CEST 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005, Dave Dodge wrote:

> C++ is definitely part of the problem; I've also seen template
> explosions where a few lines of code ran gcc out of memory, but I
> don't think that was the case here.  libtool also seems to be involved
> whenever I notice this sort of incredible object size inflation.

   Given that libtool merely calls gcc/g++ to build its .o and .lo
files, I would be really interested in what makes you think it could be
responsible in *any* way for the large object files you are witnessing,
and how any other library building tool would avoid the problem.

> I think libtool sometimes also ends up with multiple copies of the giant
> .lo/.la/whatever files in various places, all eating up space

   I do not think so. And when building a shared lib only (which is what
k3d does), .lo and .la files are far from being "giant" (usually far
less than 1KB).

--
Sam.