[Ffmpeg-devel] build systems

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed Sep 21 10:42:57 CEST 2005

Sam Hocevar said:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005, Dave Dodge wrote:
>
>> C++ is definitely part of the problem; I've also seen template
>> explosions where a few lines of code ran gcc out of memory, but I
>> don't think that was the case here.  libtool also seems to be involved
>> whenever I notice this sort of incredible object size inflation.
>
>    Given that libtool merely calls gcc/g++ to build its .o and .lo
> files, I would be really interested in what makes you think it could be
> responsible in *any* way for the large object files you are witnessing,
> and how any other library building tool would avoid the problem.

Libtool is responsible for building both .o and .lo files.  This can be
avoided by --disable-static, except for the broken apps that build parts of
themselves as static libraries before the final linking.  Such design is
usually a result of using recursive make, which is, as we know, harmful.

>> I think libtool sometimes also ends up with multiple copies of the giant
>> .lo/.la/whatever files in various places, all eating up space
>
>    I do not think so. And when building a shared lib only (which is what
> k3d does), .lo and .la files are far from being "giant" (usually far
> less than 1KB).

The .la files are just small text files with some instructions to libtool
for how to screw up your builds later on.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com