[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: crop & pad (again)

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Apr 5 15:21:45 CEST 2006

Hi Baptiste,

while hacking the crop/pad filters, I tried not to change the current
behaviour as much as possible.

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 15:11 +0200, Baptiste COUDURIER wrote:
[...]
> ffmpeg -y -i <file> -croptop 32 -padtop 32 only pads and increase final
> resolution.
I just tried something like
./output_example /tmp/out.yuv
./ffmpeg -i /tmp/in.y4m -croptop 50 -padtop 50 /tmp/out.y4m
and (unless I messed up something - in this case, I apologize) ffmpeg
produces the same results before and after applying the three patches I
posted: it crops the 50 lines on top of the image and fills them with
black. Isn't this the expexted result?

> Hasn't "-s" precedence over all picture transformation ? IMHO it should.
The "traditional" ffmpeg behaviour is: crop first, then rescale, and
then pad (specifying "-s" before "-crop*" always gave strange results...
I posted some questions about this some time ago, and this seems to be
expected). So, "-s" sets the image size after cropping but before
padding.

> -croptop 32 -padtop 32 -s 720x576 should crop by 32 pad those 32 and
> finally rescale to 720x576. Is that actual behaviour Luca ?
This used to generate a 720x608 picture (because it crops 32 lines, then
rescales to 720x576, and then pads 32 lines, so we obtain 576 + 32
lines). This seems to be the expected behaviour (at least, this is what
I've been told on this mailing list). My patches leave this behaviour
unchanged - modulo bugs :) I just tried, and the behaviour seems to be
unchanged.
If there is a general agreement that this behaviour is wrong, I can
provide a patch to change it to the desired one... But there must be an
agreement (I do not want to break someone' scripts introducing a new
behaviour).

If you find some differences between the behaviour before my patches and
after my patches, please let me know and I'll fix it.

			Thanks,
				Luca