[Ffmpeg-devel] FFMPEG crashes on WinXP SP2

Adam Pierce adam
Fri Apr 7 13:14:57 CEST 2006

Steve Lhomme wrote:
> Adam Pierce wrote:
>>

>> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>>>
>>> Make sure your .exe uses the matching .dll. You can use Dependency
>>> Walker to check what your .exe is using.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>> Thanks for replying so quickly. According to depends.exe, the DLLs
>> are indeed the ones compiled alongside the executable. I recompiled
>> the whole thing from CVS just now and it would not run until I copied
>> the DLLs eg:
>>
>>  cp libavformat/avformat.dll ./
>>  cp libavcodec/avcodec.dll ./
>>  cp libavutil/avutil.dll ./
>>  ./ffmpeg -i test1.asf test1.mpeg
>>
>> This time I got "The application failed to initialize properly
>> (0xc0000005)" which sounds pretty dire. I think I will re-install
>> MinGW from scratch and try it again. I had previously updated my
>> MinGW gcc to version 3.4.2 maybe that has something to do with it.
>
> You may try CVS from a week ago. Last time I tried latest CVS in
> MinGW, nothing would encode (an assert in bswap.h).
>
> Steve

Thanks for all your advice. After many experiments, I have found that it
works better when compiled with MinGW version 5.0.2. ffmpeg.exe still
doesn't work but I added the SDL library and can use ffplay.exe on a
variety of different media types with no problems. This is using
ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1.

  \_____ |  \ o \       Adam Pierce        / o /  | _____/
      \__|____\ o   www.doctort.org/adam   o /____|__/
                          \______/