[Ffmpeg-devel] When is planned to add ogg Theora output in ffmpeg?

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Apr 7 16:54:56 CEST 2006

Patrick Aljord said:
> On 4/7/06, M?ns Rullg?rd <mru at inprovide.com> wrote:
>> It's not planned.  Basically, theora sucks, and ogg sucks more.
>> Patches to support ogg/theora muxing are still welcome, of course.
> first of all remember that theora is still alpha stuff but it's
> getting there.

If by "there" you mean where other codecs were a decade ago, sure.

> I'm sure once it's 1.0 stable it will kick other codecs ass :)

Impossible, at least not without replacing everything but the name.

> just like they did with vorbis.

Vorbis is good, but by no means unique.  It shines when compared to mp3,
just like AAC and all other modern audio codecs also do.

> Remember that vp6 (which is better than mpeg4)

MPEG4 is generally considered a failed experiment.

> is just an improved version of vp3 just like theora
> so there is hope. (plus mpeg4 is just an improved mpeg2 :) )

The problem is that pretty much anything you can imagine doing by way of
video encoding is patented.

> secondly ogg is just a simple container, it doesn't have the ambition
> to replace Matroska or anything like that, it does what it is intended
> to do pretty well so it doesn't suck to me.

Ogg is above all a *stupid* container.  Whatever its ambitions are, it goes
about achieving them in the most awkward of ways.

Don't get me wrong, matroska is just as bad, only in different ways.  It
aims to do *everything* with no regard to whether those things make sense
or not.  More often than not, they don't.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com