[Ffmpeg-devel] integrating a new codec?

Mike Melanson mike
Mon Apr 10 20:39:03 CEST 2006

James Barros wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> sorry for the newb question. I glanced at the dev guide for ffmpeg  ( at
> http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC30 ) and  libavcodec (
> at http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/~boehme/ using_libavcodec.html )  but
> didn't see what I was looking for so I  thought I'd toss the question
> out to the list.
>
> Integration of codec's in *nix/osx environment (vss windows dll's)
>
> basically, I don't have a clue how to integrate a new codec, and I'm  a
> bit of a programming newb, ok, well, practically a non-programmer  (php
> geek) but willing to learn/beg/borrow/steal to try and get this  working.
>
> Anyone care to point me at a howto or even let me know what chunk of
> code I should be looking at?
>
> I've unfortunately only got access to a precompiled version of the
> codec to boot.
>
> Thanks for all your help, and I apologize again for the newb question.

	Based on my interpretation of your message you are inquiring how to go
about integrating decoding support via Windows DLLs into FFmpeg. Is that
correct? If true, I should tell you straight away: Please don't bother.
The official FFmpeg stance, per my understanding, is that it does not
support binary codecs. If you need that functionality for transcoding
you would do better to look at MPlayer's MEncoder.

--
	-Mike Melanson