[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Flix Engine uses memcoder in commerical Flix Engine

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Apr 27 20:45:22 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:24:00PM +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
[...]
> As for license, I have absoloutely no preference, and it can be public
> domain for all I care. But we'll probably use some license that prevents
> using libnut to make invalid NUT files.

iam very strongly against this, though ive nothing to say, as you are
the only libnut author AFAIK

1. a license will not prevent generation of invalid files, these either
get generated by 14 year old kids who for example replace the startcodes
with their own and change the name (msmpeg4v3 hacks style) these types
dont read license ...
or they get genrated due to bugs, its like a hypothetical NB-LGPL (LGPL
with the additional restriction that you may not write buggy code)
2. it prevents scientific / experimentation stuff
3. it is GPL, LGPL and DFSG incompatible
4. it prevents NUT 2.0 (no seriously, allowing "us" to write a libnut 2.0
   based on 1.0 while preventing others from doing that would require to
   define who is "us")

-> advantages, i cant see any
   disadvantages, so many i cant count them

Michael