[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Flix Engine uses memcoder in commerical Flix Engine

Oded Shimon ods15
Thu Apr 27 20:53:59 CEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:45:22PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:24:00PM +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
> [...]
> > As for license, I have absoloutely no preference, and it can be public
> > domain for all I care. But we'll probably use some license that prevents
> > using libnut to make invalid NUT files.
>
> iam very strongly against this, though ive nothing to say, as you are
> the only libnut author AFAIK

I obviously said I have no strong feelings on this, so please have your
say on the matter :)

> 1. a license will not prevent generation of invalid files, these either
> get generated by 14 year old kids who for example replace the startcodes
> with their own and change the name (msmpeg4v3 hacks style) these types
> dont read license ...
> or they get genrated due to bugs, its like a hypothetical NB-LGPL (LGPL
> with the additional restriction that you may not write buggy code)
> 2. it prevents scientific / experimentation stuff
> 3. it is GPL, LGPL and DFSG incompatible
> 4. it prevents NUT 2.0 (no seriously, allowing "us" to write a libnut 2.0
>    based on 1.0 while preventing others from doing that would require to
>    define who is "us")
>
> -> advantages, i cant see any
>    disadvantages, so many i cant count them

The idea was to do a dual/triple license something, please ask Rich to
elaborate, I'm no good at this.

- ods15