[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Flix Engine uses memcoder in commerical Flix Engine

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme
Fri Apr 28 18:49:57 CEST 2006

Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 02:08:23PM +0200, Steve Lhomme wrote:
>>> The thing that amazes me is that nobody else set those as design goals
>>> before. It just seems so fundamental to me. Dare you concede that ogg
>>> got one thing right? :)
>> I think you forgot another container that is already in use: matroska.
>
> No, matroska is block-based just like avi, not stream-based.

Yes sir and no sir. It's block based and can be streamed.

There is a feature in EBML (the underlying part of matroska) that allow
elements with an unknown size, especially for streaming. So basically
streaming would work the same as in ogg as you don't have to know the
size of a Cluster to start writing it.