[Ffmpeg-devel] I'm giving up

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Tue Dec 5 13:46:22 CET 2006

Hi Luca,

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 13:06 +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
>[...]
> I just downloaded the last patch, and I am going to test it.
> Well, I downloaded
> http://research.edm.uhasselt.be/~h264/patches/edm-20061204T171213-ffmpeg-h264.diff
> is it the correct patch? It does not seem to include mmx optimizations
> (or am I wrong?). Should I apply some other incremental patch?
Yes, I stripped out some features of the patch to ease reviewing. I
figured a smaller patch would be more likely to be accepted.

Both qpel and mmx were stripped out and pu into incremental patches (in
June). I'll provide new incremental patches in an hour at the same
location.

> [...]
> > > Maybe other people might want to help with a "native" H.264 encoder...
> > Obviously I'd love that. But, without the patch entering the FFmpeg tree
> > I fear it will not work.
> Well, my hope is that interested people can download and try your patch
> (I'll surely do), and if they find it interesting (as I think), they
> will try to help in having the patch integrated (I'll try to help when /
> if I'll try some free time ---> read: when I'll have finished with the
> swscale stuff).
>
> In this way, you will be able to focus on your development, while other
> people can take care of doing what's needed for having the patch applied
> in ffmpeg. At least, I hope things can work in this way :)
Several months ago someone already tried doing something similar. At
that time, to be able work with two on that code, we had setup an
internal SVN-server and imported -the at that time current- FFmpeg code.
Every now and then, I synchronized that tree with the official FFmpeg
tree. As our code was not available publicly in some revision control
system, the third party (that other person willing to help) had to keep
_yet another_ version of the FFmpeg tree, get our patches and continue
working on that. Keeping those trees in sync with svn is a PITA IMHO.

Maybe a branch on mplayerhq is a solution for this specific problem, I
just fear that such a tree will be created once, fail to be of interest
to anyone, and it will just be me applying to it and syncing it. Of
course, one can't know without trying...

With friendly regards,
Takis

--
vCard: http://www.issaris.org/pi.vcf