[Ffmpeg-devel] I'm giving up

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Dec 6 13:03:19 CET 2006

Hi Takis,

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 13:46 +0100, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
[...]
> Both qpel and mmx were stripped out and pu into incremental patches (in
> June). I'll provide new incremental patches in an hour at the same
> location.
Ok; I tested the non-mmx version, and it is quite fast (about as fast as
x264 with mmx optimizations). Quality is not good, but I guess it can be
enhanced ;-)

[...]
> > In this way, you will be able to focus on your development, while other
> > people can take care of doing what's needed for having the patch applied
> > in ffmpeg. At least, I hope things can work in this way :)
> Several months ago someone already tried doing something similar. At
> that time, to be able work with two on that code, we had setup an
> internal SVN-server and imported -the at that time current- FFmpeg code.
> Every now and then, I synchronized that tree with the official FFmpeg
> tree. As our code was not available publicly in some revision control
> system, the third party (that other person willing to help) had to keep
> _yet another_ version of the FFmpeg tree, get our patches and continue
> working on that. Keeping those trees in sync with svn is a PITA IMHO.
Ok, I see the problem... Maybe having your code in ffmpeg's svn
repository (in a branch) will help with it.

Anyway, I think that creating troubles to you (such as having to resynch
with ffmpeg's svn more often than you would do, or to create and publish
patches too often) only for sharing your code with other people is not
reasonable.
I think it would be more reasonable to find a way to publish your work
in the simplest way for you, even without resynching it with latest
ffmpeg svn. Interested people can easily port it to the current svn of
ffmpeg (and contribute back to you this update-to-ffmpeg-svn patch), and
create patches for ffmpeg.

BTW, talking about the code... I see that support for the
CODEC_FLAG_GLOBAL_HEADER is not implemented yet. How can
./ffmpeg -i sourcevideo -vcodec ffh264 -vtag avc1 -an targetvideo.mp4
work? (Or am I missing something as usual?)
Anyway, if you are interested I can try to work on it and provide a
patch for supporting CODEC_FLAG_GLOBAL_HEADER in one week or two.

			Thanks,
				Luca