[Ffmpeg-devel] h264/PAFF interlacing

Loren Merritt lorenm
Thu Dec 14 07:47:18 CET 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Julian Scheel wrote:
> Am Freitag, 8. Dezember 2006 01:05 schrieb Loren Merritt:
>
>> PAFF is just a name for streams containing some frame pictures and some
>> field pictures. So there doesn't need to be any documentation of PAFF,
>> only documentation of frame coding and of field coding.
>> Or depending on the context, I might use "PAFF" to refer to non-MBAFF
>> interlacing, whether or not it's mixed with progressive.
>
> But there must be some specs on how to handle that?!
> I can't find anything on the net, that would point me into a direction how to
> implement this.

I just gave the link. ITU-T_H264.pdf
See for example
Section 8.2.4.2.1 "Initialization process for the reference picture list
for P and SP slices in frames" and
Section 8.2.4.2.2 "Initialization process for the reference picture list
for P and SP slices in fields".

Or just grep the file for the word "field". Every single instance of
"field" is involved with either PAFF or MBAFF, and probably every
section that concerns PAFF or MBAFF mentions "field".

--Loren Merritt