[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: American quality standards.

Mike Melanson mike
Wed Mar 15 22:48:44 CET 2006

Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> I read slashdot only to find comments like the above. In short : in
> explains that VHS win the format war because of  cheaper price and
> because of the appearance of video rentals. Sony haven't realised this
> kind of use and missed the boat.

	Per my understanding, 2 other factors not to be overlooked were 1) VHS'
longer playtime; and 2) VHS open proliferation vs. Beta's closed nature.
I.e., Sony was hesitant to let other people make players.

	For the record, you could rent Beta tapes. The first video rental store
my family ever patronized rented both VHS and Beta. This was circa 1982.

--
	-Mike Melanson