[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: American quality standards.

Erik Slagter erik
Thu Mar 16 14:21:59 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 13:48 -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> 	Per my understanding, 2 other factors not to be overlooked were 1) VHS'
> longer playtime; and 2) VHS open proliferation vs. Beta's closed nature.
> I.e., Sony was hesitant to let other people make players.
>
> 	For the record, you could rent Beta tapes. The first video rental store
> my family ever patronized rented both VHS and Beta. This was circa 1982.

V2000 had even longer watching time (tape could be reversed). But
Philips did not allow to make rental tapes with adult content, it was
afraid that would damage the brand. This is (sadly) where they missed
the boat.