[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: movenc.c ipod h264 suggested change

Baptiste COUDURIER baptiste.coudurier
Wed Mar 29 12:55:14 CEST 2006

Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Baptiste COUDURIER wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> and i assume loren is ok with using the raw values for level & profile?
>>> not sure if theres a better aproach anyway ...
>> Maybe there is an interface to x264 for retrieving profile and level
>> indication ?
> Hmm... the x264 api currently has no way to retrieve global info from
> the encoder. I suppose I could write profile back into param_t after
> deriving it from the other settings. But that doesn't affect the
> decision for ffmpeg's user interface, it just means ffmpeg could tell
> you if you picked incompatible settings.

Yes, that way, ffmpeg profile and level would be set to correct ones, by

Thing is, why changing profile and level if parameters does not
influence them ?

IMHO, just setting profile and level differently cause ipod will read it
is nonsense. I agree that default values might not be correct, it would
be great to fix them once for all, depending on parameters.

SMARTJOG S.A.                                    http://www.smartjog.com
Phone: +33 1 49966312