[Ffmpeg-devel] 640x480 iPod Baseline Low Complexity Profile

Mathieu Monnier manao
Thu Sep 21 11:26:23 CEST 2006

Hi,
> Baseline Low-Complexity Profile Details:
> 1 reference frame.
> No higher than Level 30.
> 640px is max width. No exceptions.

How did you come to this conclusion ? Do you have any paper / link /
reference stating what Apple considers to be Baseline "Low Complexity" ?
I ask, because the 5.5g file I analysed yesterday had only one ref, but
also no deblocking, no p8x8, no p4x4 and no i4x4. Deblocking has quite a
major impact on the decoding speed, so does 8x8 & 4x4, while the number
of references mainly impact memory consumption.

So I wonder, is the number of references the only restriction ?

Regards,

Mathieu

PS : I couldn't answer the original message, it was already erased on my
computer.