[Ffmpeg-devel] new grab interface breaks bktr grabing

Nikns Siankin nikns
Wed Apr 4 07:01:58 CEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 02:56:09PM -0700, Piero Bugoni wrote:

>--- Nikns Siankin <nikns at secure.lv> wrote:
>
>> First I tried:
>> ffmpeg -y -f bktr -i /dev/bktr0 -an -vcodec wmv2
>> -tvstd pal /root/test.wmv
>> /dev/bktr0: Error while opening file
>>
>> Then I remembered that even with old ffmpeg there
>> was such error if no frame
>> size specified, but running:
>> ffmpeg -y -f bktr -i /dev/bktr0 -an -vcodec wmv2
>> -tvstd pal -s cif /root/test.wmv
>> didn't help either.
>>
>> Hovewer, specifying "-s" in front of args finnaly
>> started capturing:
>> ffmpeg -y -s cif -f bktr -i /dev/bktr0 -an -vcodec
>> wmv2 -tvstd pal /root/test.wmv
>>

>[...]
>

>> Anyone have success grabing from bktr with new grab
>> interface?
>
>Thanks for this. I have been using ffmpeg for a while
>on Slackware Linux, but just set it up today on
>FreeBSD 6.2. I referred back to your info to get
>grabbing to work. (The command line is different from
>Linux. I might have fucked around for hours trying to
>get it to work without this info.)
>
>The kernel was rebuilt to remove all unnecessary
>drivers, and bktr built in statically. (The box was an
>old  450MHz PIII with 128M RAM, so it was pared down
>to minimum, just to be sure. The bktr driver
>complained about unable to allocate memory when loaded
>with kldload, but seemed to load ok when loaded at
>boot with  loader.conf. The card was a LW-104 --aka
>Pico2000 ebay special).
>

>I used SVN-r8618, downloaded today.
>
>This command worked:
>./ffmpeg -y -s cif -f bktr -i /dev/bktr0 -an  -tvstd
>ntsc test.mpg
>
>(Although I got this repeating error message that I
>think has to do with the bktr driver):
>
>SLEPT NO signals - xxxx microseconds late
>
>Generally speaking, the video looked OK.
>
>I do not know if this is an issue for ffmpeg-user, or
>not, so I mention it here.

So you say video played smoothly?
Then, perhaps there are another openbsd
specific issues with code that went in from
january till april.
Want to try on openbsd? Just pick 4.0 install,
bktr is in by default.