[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] functional programming languages

Attila Kinali attila
Wed Apr 18 20:49:51 CEST 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:25:51 +0200
Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> gone completely off-topic, but...

... who cares ;-)

> Well, there are few languages that get as fast unreadable as the code
> size grows as the functional languages IMO...
> But regardless, since you seem to have some experience, can you suggest
> something interactive to try out and/or use as calculator-replacement?
> I'd wish for something with bash-like history handling capabilities. On
> of the programs I found couldn't even handle the cursor keys - I
> wouldn't have accepted that in a programming environment even 8 years ago...

I've only tryed Scheme once and it didn't look too bad.
Knowing the basics of functional languages (which is
IMHO very simple) you can read nearly all of them with
very little effort.

So, i would start with Scheme, if this isn't something
for you, try Erlang and Haskell, both are quite wide
spread in the academic world (not that it means anything)
or another lisp derivate (but common lisp, which is _HUGE_).

			Attila Kinali

--
Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann