[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] functional programming languages

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Wed Apr 18 20:51:05 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 20:49 +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:25:51 +0200
> Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> I've only tryed Scheme once and it didn't look too bad.
> Knowing the basics of functional languages (which is
> IMHO very simple) you can read nearly all of them with
> very little effort.
>
> So, i would start with Scheme, if this isn't something
> for you, try Erlang and Haskell, both are quite wide
> spread in the academic world (not that it means anything)
> or another lisp derivate (but common lisp, which is _HUGE_).

  Functional languages are ideally suited for GLUE purposes, IMHO.
Basically any time you want to make anything (windowmanager,
texteditor, GUI builder, etc.) be flexible Scheme might be a good
choice for you. It has a small footprint, lets you manipulate
objects that you expose from a bigger framework (i.e. windows,
decorations, etc. in the case of window manager) and has kick-ass
advantage that code and data are the same. Tcl/Tk is one shiny
example of how it all works.

Thanks,
Roman.