[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] functional programming languages

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Apr 18 21:30:39 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 08:49:51PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
[...]
> I've only tryed Scheme once and it didn't look too bad.
> Knowing the basics of functional languages (which is

I do. Had to "learn" it during one of the computer science lectures.
But with the kind of things they ask you to do there you don't really
learn anything (and at least here they made sure we don't actually see
too many cases that I couldn't have done much simpler in C).

> IMHO very simple) you can read nearly all of them with
> very little effort.

I guess I'll never consider anything that regularly has more than
three consecutive ')' easy to read, but that actually all isn't
important.

> So, i would start with Scheme, if this isn't something
> for you, try Erlang and Haskell, both are quite wide
> spread in the academic world (not that it means anything)
> or another lisp derivate (but common lisp, which is _HUGE_).

Actually I was wondering is someone can recommend a specific
implementation.
I am looking for a usable interactive mode. I e.g. tried guile and
mzscheme, they have an interactive mode, but using the cursor keys just
results in printing "[[C^[[D^[[A^[[B" instead of having a useful effect.
And for me that results in useless. I also looked at drscheme, but I
just can't use Guis efficiently.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger