[FFmpeg-devel] OSX 10.5 (Leopard) build problem

Steven M. Schultz sms
Sat Dec 15 21:15:58 CET 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, [iso-8859-1] M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> As far as I am concerned, the bug is in OSX, not FFmpeg.  There are no
> problems on other OSes, or even older versions of OSX, so there is no
> technical reason why the code shouldn't work on OSX 10.5.

	To me it's a matter of poorly formed code that relies on lenient
	linkers.  Other systems, including older versions of OSX, had a
	linker that apparently allowed non-pic code to be placed in a
	shared library.

	When that capability was removed (by accident perhaps) the
	_workaround_ for the compile failure (and I view requiring
	mdynamic-no-pic as a bug workaround for improperly written pic code)
	no longer works and the result is a failure to link.

	I'll just keep using the last built version from October.  When that
	ceases to work or be useful then "rm -r" will fix the problem once
	and for all ;(

	Steven Schultz