[FFmpeg-devel] New project using ffmpeg

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Dec 18 18:34:45 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 11:43:36AM +0000, Cezary Falba wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2007, at 08:20, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Also, you claim that your software is available under the GPL,
> > but when I download the source code, there is no sign of the GPL
> > anywhere and all files are marked as copyrighted by you or Saffron
> > Digital or lack any copyright or license information. This makes
> > them effectively non- free.
> >
> > Also, there is the following statement on your website:
> >
> >  By downloading our software you accept the GPL licence which can be
> >  found here.
> >
> > This makes me think that you still haven't read the GPL, since it
> > contains a paragraph about the need to accept the license that this
> > conflicts with.
> >
> > Releasing your software under a license you have not read is
> > tantamount to buying a house/car/whatever without reading the
> > contract. I'll contact you in private with some excellent Brooklyn
> > bridges that I have for sale at premium conditions...
>
> Thanks a lot for checking a site and all advices.
> I just fixed a website and added a license to both sources and
> installers.
> It will be highly appreciated if you could re-check that page again
> when you have few minutes.
> There is no rush as we still have time before we officially release it
> to public.

I have trouble testing the Mac version since it now seems to require OS
X 10.5, but I'm still on 10.4.  Your website claims that only 10.4 is
required..

You have added LGPL copyright headers to your source files, but the
license text you include is the GPL.  This looks like an oversight from
you.  Also, your copyright headers only contain two of the three
paragraphs commonly used for this purpose.

Are you using FFmpeg in GPL mode?

I'm being told that the Windows installer of your program is totally
broken and installs stuff into C: instead of the path it claims to
install to.  It also displays a license different from the (L)GPL.

The Windows source package contains a __MACOSX directory, weird.

I still find it awkward that the first mentions of FFmpeg, AviSynth and
Perl on the above website are not links to homepages.  Instead you hide
those links at the bottom of the page.

So it's getting better, but you're still not at 100%.

best regards

Diego