[FFmpeg-devel] libossupport status

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Dec 22 21:11:19 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 08:06:51PM +0100, Vadim Lebedev wrote:

> Luca Abeni wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >int the last weeks, I've been silent about libossupport, but I continued
> >to work on it. Here is a report about the current status of things.
> >
> >First of all, the requirements:
> >1) Eliminate all the OS-dependent code from libav* (this can be achieved
> >in small steps)
> >2) For standard (POSIX?) systems, no dependency on libossupport should
> >be created
> >3) libav* code should use standard (POSIX?) functions, and the
> >implementation of such functions for non-standard systems should be
> >provided by libossupport
> >4) It seems that most of the developeres do not want libossupport in
> >ffmpeg, but want it as an external library.
> >
> >Did I understand the requirements correctly? Am I forgetting anything?
> >

> I wonder how do you intend to implement missing POSIX functionality on
> Win32 plaftorm

Theres no intention to implement it all, just what we need in ffmpeg.

> For example on win32  close()  will not accepts socket handles  and
> select()  will not work on file handles, meaning

If win32 supports closing sockets, there should be a function doing that,
that can then be used. If it supports the equivalent of select() on files
AND we need that, then the existing function can be used.
If win32 doesnt support XYZ and we do have a implementation for it currently,
that can be moved from libavformat to libossupport. If we win32 doesnt
support XYZ and we do not have a implementation for it there wont be one
on libossupport either. At least not until some win32 devel implements it.

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle