[FFmpeg-devel] [OT] Re: libossupport status

Rich Felker dalias
Sun Dec 30 01:45:59 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 10:38:23PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > or moving large quantities of files around, then?
>
> I do it all the time, and nothing beats the command line tools (cp,
> mv, find, etc.) in efficiency.

One area where a GUI is very useful for this is when the set of files
to act upon cannot be easily be specified programmatically. The most
common example that comes to my mind is selecting a set of digital
photos to attach, store in an archive file, move, delete, etc. -- it's
hard to write a command line that says "all the photos with person X
in them that aren't blurry". However this still does not demand
interprocess DnD, and I find that interprocess (or even interwindow)
DnD does not come naturally to newbies.

> > Lack of consistent, functional drag and drop between applications and
> > various file system management tools is the reason a large organisation I
> > used to work for refused to use Sun JDS 1 (the Linux based one); as it was
> > felt that it would drive the user base insane, and quite rapidly. Supposed
> > "super users" may claim 'features' like that aren't needed - but they are.
>
> I have no idea what Sun JDS is, but I usually dislike anything from
> Sun starting with a J.

*smirk* :)

Rich