[Ffmpeg-devel] Interleaving audio and video

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Feb 2 12:23:09 CET 2007

Hi

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 09:57:15AM +0100, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 08:10:28PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> >> While implementing an idea suggested by Michael for restructuring DV
> >> audio muxer I've come to realize that DV muxer currently expects a
> >> caller to take care of interleaving audio and video properly based
> >> on PTS valued. Now we know that ffmpeg.c does it, but is it fair
> >> to require that kind of behaviour in general of all users of
> >> libavformat ?
> >>
> >> Or to put it differently, do I have to care about caller giving
> >> me the following pattern of DV audio/video packets:
> >
> > see av_interleaved_write_frame() (the docs above it)
> > and AVOutputFormat.interleave_packet()
> >

> Would it be same to force using interleave_packet for some formats ?
>
> DV,GXF,MXF always require audio to be specially packed, and therefore
> won't support passing 48000 samples packet like MOV can contain.

interleave_packet() wasnt designed to split and merge packets which seems
to be what you want?

and about huge PCM packets, these should be never generated (=the demuxer
should split them) the reason is simply memory requiremnt, audio buffering
issues for playback and seeking granularity if the pcm is streamcopied
if 48k samples is huge or not is another question, 10mb audio packets
definitly are to large though and yes files which such audio packets
exist

If you really think that XML is the answer, then you definitly missunderstood
the question -- Attila Kinali