[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Re: Re: [theora-dev] Theora encoding in FFmpeg

Paul Richards paul.richards
Mon Jan 1 23:13:47 CET 2007

On 01/01/07, Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > also it is _very_ important to use postprocessing on the decoder side for
> > mpeg4 asp (theora and h.264 have their own "postprocessing" in loop filter
> > build in) mplayer -vf spp=X or -vf pp is something you could try
> Can the loop filter in theora be disabled? That's another option for comparison
> I suppose.
> >> Compared against ffmpeg's "h264" (libx264), there was no
> >> clear winner (part of the problem was that I couldn't get h264 to
> >
> > the default options for x264 encoding with ffmpeg are VERY bad, there
> > should be some recommanded command line parameters for ffmpeg-x264
> > somewhere i think (no i dont remember where ...)
> I made some notes here:
> http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/ffmpeg-x264-encoding-guide/
> It and the interface could probably do with a little updating to encompass bime,
> mixed refs and anything else that was added.

I did not mean to spark a debate about which codecs are better and
what set of options need to be applied to get there.  I just wanted to
defend my choice to hook up Theora by pointing out that it's roughly
up there with mpeg4 and h264 (both very popular).

Paul Richards