[Ffmpeg-devel] Decoding from blocks

Jindrich Makovicka makovick
Fri Jan 12 17:32:57 CET 2007

On 1/12/07, Emanuele Fumagalli <emanuele.fumagalli at babelnetworks.com> wrote:
> >> the only ffmpeg related question here seems to be if you can play a
> >> partially
> >> downloaded avi assuming that the part you want to play is already
> >> downloaded
> >> the awnser is of course yes
> >

> Ok, has someone an idea how to do that, do I have to make a server and use
> streaming (av_open_input_stream) or is there a way to decode buffer of data
> (not file)?
> thanks again

If your p2p client prioritizes downloading of the beginning and end of
the file, you can usually play it the normal way as if it was
undamaged after the header and index have been obtained. For maximum
comfort, you could modify the avi demuxer so it would use the
information about which blocks are unavailable to avoid them when
demuxing and seeking.

--
Jindrich Makovicka