[Ffmpeg-devel] Native AAC decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 18 18:28:01 CET 2007

Hi

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 06:46:07PM -0500, jzberiui lqkjsdf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am testing the native AAC decoder produced under SoC.  I have searched the
> archives of this list and the SoC2006 list, and I cannot determine what its
> current status should be.  Some have suggested that it is complete and
> testable.
>
> However, I am finding that revision 14 produces only static whereas any
> revision > 14 (using dsputils) is silent and segfaults rather easily.  I am
> testing with AAC LC files, which according to the commit log, should be
> supported.  I can determine that aac_decode_frame is being called
> successfully and returning bytes. Is this codec ready? I am curious as to
> why it hasn't been rolled into ffmpeg yet like vc1 has.

codecs get rolled into svn when someone posts a patch which passes review
the reason why noone posted it is likely that it doesnt work as you noticed

so if you are interrested in seeing it integrated then first step is to get
it working (posting patches here to fix and improve the aac code would be the
obvious option ...)

after it works someone (you for example ...) could then post a patch which
adds aac to ffmpeg svn, which would then need to go through reviewal and
probably a bunch of revisions with fixes depending on the replies you get
from review before it could be applied

and yes native aac support is very much wanted, due to all the license
issues with faad/faac and of course it means one external dependancy less

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato