[Ffmpeg-devel] DVR-MS bug (MP2 decoding)

John Donaghy johnfdonaghy
Fri Jan 26 18:20:19 CET 2007

> has this bug been fixed? (no i cant check ... as "file not found")

This hasnt been fixed but I know what's wrong now. The problem is that the
audio stream header in this sample 'suggests' that the audio is MP2 when in
fact it is actually AC3. I say 'suggests' here because there's no public
documentation on the content of a dvr-ms audio stream header. I originally
submitted a patch (to get dvr-ms audio working) that reads what appears to
be a WAVEFORMATEX structure from the middle of the header. This seemed to
work well enough for SD content but it turns out that it doesnt typically
work for HD content.

As far as I know the wFormatTag field of a WAVEFORMATEX should contain 0x50
for MP2 and 0x2000 for AC3. However, for the sample in question, wFormatTag
contains 0x50, which means there's currently no way to know in the demuxer
that the audio is AC3. Most other HD samples I've seen contain the value
0x00 in wFormatTag if the audio is AC3. I've built an experimental version
of mplayer that changes the value to 0x2000 if 0x00 is found, and this
allows me to play most HD files I have - except for the sample in question.
I doubt this is the basis for a patch though given that at least one sample
still doesnt work.

There must be some other way to determine the audio stream type but I dont
know how to at the minute. If anyone's interested in helping I have a bunch
of samples I can post.

John