[FFmpeg-devel] libswscale/yuv2rgb_init.c license

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Jul 3 16:01:26 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 09:04:38PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 20:19 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > The file libswscale/yuv2rgb_init.c is missing a license header and a
> > copyright notice.  I assume Luca Abeni wanted to put it under the LGPL,
> > but it's better not to assume in legal matters.
> I committed it without any license by purpose: I wanted to check if it
> was ok to license it under LGPL.
> It turned out that the original author of the code in yuv2rgb.c (from
> which some part of yuv2rgb_init.c was derived) was not even cited as an
> author in the file header, and he did not agree with the relicensing.
> So, I reversed some changes, and yuv2rgb_init.c is currently not used. I
> left it there in case someone (not me - if the original author is
> against LGPL, I'll not try to "rewrite" that code) was interested in
> working on it, rewriting the GPLed parts.

This was bad.  You should have documented this in the file header and
slapped a GPL license on it, plus a copyright notice indicating the
original author.  Unfortunately the file is already gone so this is not
so easy to fix anymore.  We should probably update the copyright notice
of yuv2rgb.c, though.

Diego

P.S.: It would improve the readability of your emails if you could
insert a blank line between your text and the quotes.