[FFmpeg-devel] Problem with DVD VOB encoding - NAV packets not included properly.

Neil Brown neilb
Sun Jul 15 13:47:15 CEST 2007

On Sunday July 15, michaelni at gmx.at wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 04:09:49PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >  I've been working with kdenlive (which uses the MLT framework which
> >  uses the ffmpeg libraries) to make a DVD and found that the VOB
> >  created does not have the correct NAV packets.
> >  This shows up when I run dvdauthor as it cannot find places to put
> >  chapter links, and when viewing the DVD on a DVD player as
> >  fast-forward and rewind don't work properly.
> >

> if it is reproduceable with (unmodified) command line ffmpeg then please
> provide full uncut output + used command line of it

No.  I tried lots of combinations but couldn't make it fail.

What would be really cool is if you could get the ffmpeg libraries to
print out the encoder context information when a new encoder is
initialised, ideally as an 'ffmpeg' command line....

I removed all the interesting options that kdenlive usually passes to
kdenlive_renderer so all that was specified was the formats and all
the parameters (bit rate etc) we left as defaults, and it still didn't
put in the NAV packets.
Presumably MLT is initialising the encoder context in some way that
the library is not expecting.  I don't know nearly about either MLT or
ffmpeg to figure out what the important difference is, and I don't
think I have the time at the moment to pour through both pieces of
code and figure out what is going wrong (after all, I can make my DVDs
now, so the urgency for me has diminished :-)

So if no-one on this list has any bright ideas, maybe we can just
leave it until someone does find the time to go bug hunting...

Thanks,
NeilBrown